Name: Birgitta Lundgård
Age: 79 Years
Lives in: Mora, Sweden
Education: Elementary School, Swim Teacher
Professional Career: Optometrist Assistant
1) How does a week look in your life? How many times per week do you exercise? In what sports do you engage?
My daily exercise I get from taking care about the household (cooking, cleaning, and washing). On top of that I go to gymnastic- and aerobic classes with Friskis&Svettis 4 times a week. Sometimes I even manage to do double workouts. I walk, cycle, and cross-country ski during the winter time.
2) Did you ever compete in any sport? At what age did you start, and how much did you train when being competitive?
I have not been competing so much in my life but when I was 15-16 years of age I was competing randomly in cross-country skiing.
3) What are your favorite foods? What foods gives you energy and strength?
My favorite dish is pork chops and other traditional Swedish “Husmanskost” dishes. I also enjoy a lot of fruit and vegetables.
4) What is “Birgitta’s” view on nutrition – what should we eat and drink?
Eat and drink in moderation. I do not like dishes that are too fatty, and some sauces I have problems to eat, but I do not say no to a glass of wine ;-).
5) What do you eat and drink when you feel an infection is on its way? Do have any special home-remedy to share?
I do not eat or drink something special to protect myself from disease, but if I have a cold I drink hot water with honey.
6) If you ever catch a cold, at what time of the year would that happen (spring, summer, autumn, or winter)? Would you catch the same type of infections in similar months from year to year?
I have not been ill, or even had a cold for several years (knock on woods).
7) What are your mottos in life?
I do not think too much about my mottos, but I guess it would be to stay healthy so that I can enjoy all the things like doing. Being able to continue going to the Friskis&Svettis classes, take walks in the nature, cross-country ski in the winter, and enjoy the bright Swedish summer nights on my bike.